3 to 4 years full-time / 6 to 8 years part-time
full-time unavailable / part-time unavailable
In order to be considered for entry, applicants must have completed:
- a four-year honours degree in a relevant discipline which includes a substantial research component, equivalent to at least 25% of one year of full-time study. Applicants should have achieved a minimum weighted average of 80% in the final year subjects, or (University of Melbourne) equivalent, with a minimum result of 80% for the research component; or
- a Masters degree in a relevant discipline which includes a substantial research component, equivalent to at least 25% of one year of full-time study. Applicants should have achieved a minimum weighted average of 80% or (University of Melbourne) equivalent with a minimum result of 80% for the research component; or
- a qualification and professional experience considered to be equivalent
- a research proposal
- referee reports (except for applicants who have graduated from the University of Melbourne within the last 5 years); and
- the endorsement of a prospective supervisor
Please note, meeting these requirements does not guarantee selection.
In selecting applicants, the selection committee will consider applicants':
- Availability of appropriate supervision, subject to academic staff capacity*
- prior academic performance and, if relevant, professional qualifications
- understanding of the research question to be explored
- demonstrated ability in academic writing
- performance at an interview
- motivation and capacity to complete the course in a timely manner
- relevant prior research and/or professional experience; and
- referee reports
- competitiveness for scholarship allocation
*Having an academic staff member indicate willingness to supervise does not guarantee selection.
English language requirements
You must meet the English language requirements of the university to be eligible for a place. You can satisfy the English language requirements in a number of ways, depending on your circumstances. Please visit the university's Future Students English language requirements web page for the options available to you.