February 25th Saturday
Venue: Kathleen Fitzpatrick Lecture Theatre, Arts West Building, University of Melbourne
Time: 10.00am - 4.00pm
The Centre for Advancing Journalism is offering a free one-day workshop covering some of the basic skills for freelance writers who want to refine their talents and increase their chances of making an impact and/or achieving mainstream publication.
The workshop will cover:
- The Pitch - How to write a succinct attractive pitch
- Interview skills - How to prepare, conduct and write a great interview
- Law and ethics – Common pitfalls and risks to your finances, credibility and peace of mind
- Structure – How to construct a standard 1,000 word piece for publication
- Dr Margaret Simons, Director of the Centre for Advancing Journalism (CAJ) and Coordinator of the Master of Journalism at the University of Melbourne
- Dr Denis Muller, the leading expert on media ethics with 27 years of journalist experience including Assistant Editor at the Sydney Morning Herald and Associate Editor at The Age
- Simon Mann, Editor of The Citizen.
Informal drinks and networking opportunity will occur afterwards for anyone who would like to attend.
Registrations are now closed.